Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Silk Road - Uygur food

Last Friday Kate and I met with my coworker and her husband for dinner. They are from Uzbekistan, so we tried an Uygur place in the city.


Our main dish was a chicken and potato stew, with broad hand made noodles, see two photos below. It was really delicious - a little spicy but no overpowering. The seasoning was great. The dish was enormous! This large size was $25 - and would probably feed 4 people without anything else.

We had two kinds of meat kebab - lamb and chicken. I think the group preferred the lamb (which was great) but I preferred the chicken as it was much leaner. Apparently the lamb should have been even more oily if traditional, with two pieces of meat to one piece of lamb fat.


The pilaf (fried rice) was just too oily for me. Again, apparently this is even oilier back home, but it was too much for me. And I think the rice was overcooked to start with.

The dumplings were good - nice and light, good flavouring. Some boiled dumplings are too heavy and no discernible herbs - not these.

That 4 person chicken dish didn't last long...


And to finish off, we went for a traditional Uygur desert (kind of) at Passionflower. All very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home